2016年3月12日 星期六

A Cool Farmer


                                                                                 

 

“Get down, girls don’t climb trees. Nobody will marry you!” My grandmother warned me when I was a kid. I didn’t like my grandmother at all because she always was so harsh and mean to me. I was also wild and uncontrollable during that time, compared to my sister, brother and cousins. When I laid on the top of roof to take a nap, she shouted “If you don’t come down right now, I am going to hit you with a stick when I see you at dinner.” “Ghosts will hunt you, if you don’t come home now,” she said, when I wandered around outside late or played with neighbors at night. One time she caught me swimming naked with the boys next door during summer vacation when I was seven or eight. She pulled me up and pinched my right ear and said “are you going to marry 阿偉ā wěi, when you grow up?” I answered “NO WAY, I don’t like him.” with my cheeks turning red and a painful ear.

 

There was always distance between my grandmother and I and I didn’t know how to talk with her even when I grew up. Also, I felt that her favorite daughter in-laws were my two aunties instead of my mom. Compared to my elder and youngest uncle, my dad and my mom’s marriage was not a match made in heaven so I sensed that she wasn’t very fond of my family. We were not close at all and it seemed as though a wall isolated us. But I respected her a lot, knowing she had a really tough life. She raised four kids by herself. My grandfather passed away when my dad was only six years old. It’s extremely hard for a single woman who didn’t know how to read and write to feed four kids during that time by farming. As she grew older and older, sometimes I stop by to visit her and watch TV with her. Still, that wall was there. She passed away almost 12 years now and sometimes I think about her but not that often.

 

However, since my hands have touched the soil and I have begun practicing farming for almost a year, I missed her more and more. When people asked me, do you have farming experience I tell them no, but I grew up on the farm. My grandmother used to have a rice field, a pig pen and a vegetable garden. I watched her work so hard harvesting rice. She used a bamboo stick to carry water and fertilizer (human manure) on her shoulder for her garden. One time talked with a friend, Hunter who has his own small farm, Tequio Community Farm, he asked do you know how to slaughter a chicken. No, but I watched my grandmother kill chicken many times. She cut the chicken’s throat first and let the blood drain out. And then she soaked the chicken in the hot water that she already prepared aside and plucked the feathers from the chicken. Hunter replied, I hoped I can meet your grandmother. She sounded super cool. My grandmother was cool, what? I never thought she was super cool like the farmers I met at those conferences I attended.

 

One morning I was preparing a bed that I would plant potatoes into. When it came time for me to plant those potatoes, suddenly tears ran down my face like a waterfall and all of my childhood memory came to me in a flash back. I missed my grandmother so much. The soil was the bridge that broke down the wall, reconnecting my grandmother and I. 阿嬤ā mà, are you proud of me? See how I planted those potatoes and how happy I am. 阿嬤ā mà, can you hear me? I want to be a super cool, tough farmer just like you. Dear friends, let me tell you a story about a cool farmer, my grandmother. 

Happy planting, happy soil and health life!

 

Left, my grandmother; right, my grandaunt.

Farewell my teammate, Mayra! I will miss her a lot.

Do I look like a tough farmer?

10 則留言:

  1. Yes, you do. You look like a beautiful, tough farmer!

    回覆刪除
  2. 妳媽媽現在搬來嘉義市跟阿嬤住.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 我有打電話問候她了. 等回台灣有空時會去嘉義看她.

      刪除
  3. 網誌管理員已經移除這則留言。

    回覆刪除
  4. I don't know if because most of your grandmother history I heard it before from you or because I remembered all the times that I saw you climbing trees while we were pruning or maybe because today is your birthday and I keep thinking how lucky I am to meet you! Anyway I just keep crying not only because your article is so good also because you are such a bad ass!! Just giving the best of you! Being a thought and awesome farmer and person ! I love you so much my Taiwanese friend! I miss you and all your wonderful food! All the best forever

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Mayra,
      I was so so lucky able to work with you for almost 5 months. During those five months, I learned a lot from you and you are an amazing person. I know I was so moody to you, but you always forgave me right away. Thank you for your kindness and big heart. One day I will visit you in Mexico and good Chinese food for you.

      刪除